Search Results
Norwalk Conservation Office
125 East Ave, Norwalk, CT 06851

Found in city hall, the conservation office is responsible for protecting the environment inMore Norwalk. Conservation has its own enforcement and support staff charged with three tasks: to ensure the safety of the water supply, to monitor activities in and around wetland and watercourse areas, and to protect and suggest uses for open space while monitoring natural resource inventories.

The aquifer protection agency regulates activities that occur near the city's water wells. It also provides enforcement based on APA rules. The APA board meets the second and fourth Thursday of each month in city hall in the planning and zoning conference room on the second floor.

Norwalk residents, aside from being thankful for safe drinking water, must also work with the conservation office when renovating their homes or businesses. In order to receive a permit, the conservation office must review the property to determine the appropriate level of permission. The inland wetlands commission meets the second and fourth Tuesday of every month in city hall's Room 231.

The City of Norwalk's conservation website has additional information, including forms and frequently asked questions.

State of Connecticut Military Department
290 New Canaan Ave, Norwalk, CT 06850

The mission of the Connecticut Military Department is to "protect life and property and preserve peace, order andMore public safety." The Army and Air National Guard are the principal implementers of this mission, and they provide assistance whenever local or state agencies are overwhelmed.

In addition to these vital services, the Military Department administers a variety of programs designed to help families of service members residing in Connecticut. These include grants, children's programs and Operation E.L.F., which brings home for the holidays Connecticut service members training or working out of state.

Norwalk Building & Code Enforcement Department
125 East Ave, Norwalk, CT 06851

If you are renovating your home or business, chances are you will need a permit and an inspection. The City ofMore Norwalk Building and Code Enforcement Department is there for the protection of the consumer and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code.

The Web site is a terrific resource for doing research in advance. Answers to questions about demolition, fees and permit requirements are spelled out clearly for both residential and commercial projects. Visitors to the Department are wise to prepare ahead of time.

In addition to building permits, the Department is also responsible for inspecting and approving other structures, such as swimming pools and signs. Special construction projects, such as asbestos removal, also are within the domain of the Department.

Want to see if that big construction project has its permits lined up or has the certificate of occupancy? Head to the tax assessor's office to get the property card and then to the Building Department, where those records are available for public view. Telephone or fax orders are not available; requests must be made in person. Copies can be outsourced for a fee of 50 cents per page.

Permit application appointments are in the morning and are by appointment only.

See more »