Secretary Ben Barnes announced in a statement released on Thursday that the Office of Policy and Management has revised its proposal to cut funding to arts and cultural organizations and will instead allocate 80 percent of what they received in fiscal year 2012 for FY 2013, according to the Connecticut Mirror. The organizations, however, will have to compete for the remaining 20 percent.
In the statement, Barnes describes the change as a "phased-in approach." The revision follows a public hearing held on Wednesday where leaders from the Shubert Theatre in New Haven and the Stamford Center for the Arts expressed concern that they would have to compete for 100 percent of their state funding.
Barnes also stated that arts funding would be segregated from the tourism marketing account in order to clarify that "this funding be used to support arts organizations."