The Norwalk Hospital awarded Dr. Nicholas V. Polifroni with the Tracey Award for 2012.
The award goes to the doctor who best displays leadership, character, involvment in community service and exemplary clinical skill.
Polifroni, of Westport, was awarded on March 30, 2012, at a special ceremony in honor of National Doctor's Day, Norwalk Hospital announced Tuesday.
“Dr. Polifroni’s work ethic and integrity demonstrate the highest standard of community service, leadership and character," said Dan DeBarba, President and CEO of Norwalk Hospital. "He is a role model for the entire health care team. His superior clinical skills, as well as his genuine compassion and empathy are commendable."
Polifroni has been practicing orthopedics in the Norwalk area since 1982.
Some of Polifroni's achievements include:
- Section Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at Norwalk Hospital
- A Senior Attending Orthopedic Surgeon affiliated with Coastal Orthopedics.
- Expertise in Total Joint Replacement and Sports Medicine.
- Team Physician for Staples High School in Westport.
- Board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- A fellow of the Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- He is former recipient of the Scallon Award the Department of Surgery Distinguished Service Awards
- Past president of the Norwalk Medical Society.
The Tracey Award celebrates the accomplishments of William J. Tracey – Norwalk Hospital’s first Chief of Staff, who served for 42 years. During his leadership, he built a solid foundation for Norwalk Hospital’s growth by caring for community, empowering medical professionals and promoting a culture of philanthropy.