With winter now in full swing, many people will rely on snow blowers to clear snow from driveways and sidewalks. But, according to Amica Insurance, these machines can lead to injury or even death.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), injuries most often occur when people use their hands to remove snow from the blower’s discharge chute. In some cases, people have died after getting caught in the machine, while others have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from running the blower in an enclosed space for too long.
Here are some tips from the CPSC for the proper use of snow blowers:
- When removing wet snow or debris from the blower, turn off the engine and use a long stick to unclog it. Always keep hands and feet away from moving parts.
- Don’t run the machine in enclosed spaces.
- Make sure to only refuel the blower outdoors, and never add gasoline to a running or hot engine. Keep gas in a capped container, and store it outside the house and away from sources of ignition.
- If using an electric blower, always keep an eye on the power cord.