- The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk is closed Friday. (added 7:29 a.m.)
- Major New York City area airports: JFK is closed and expected to resume service at 8:30 a.m. LaGuardia and Newark airports currently have 15-minute delays. (added 7:25 a.m.)
- Bradley International Airport expects to resume flights later this morning (according to this tweet): "Later this morning flights will begin to resume. Some flights may be delayed as we move into this afternoon. Keep up to date on your flight." (added 8:09 a.m.)
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices statewide will open at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 3. Offices are fully operational. DMV learner's permit knowledge test appointments will begin at 10:15 a.m. today.
- NEON closed Jan. 3 Due to dangerous weather conditions resulting from the area's snow storm, NEON offices in Norwalk and Stamford, as well as the agency's Child Development program classes at Norwalk's Nathaniel Ely School and Ben Franklin Center will be closed Friday, January 3rd.
- Metro-North is changing Friday's schedule to a Saturday schedule. See full announcement.
- Norwalk Public Schools Closed Friday. All Norwalk Public schools and offices will be closed Friday, January 3, 2014
Concerned about road conditions on Interstate 95? Check out the state Department of Transportation traffic cameras on I-95 in Greenwich, Stamford, Darien and Norwalk.
Stamford Patch reports that Ted Jankowski, Stamford Director of Public Safety, Health & Welfare, says moderate power outages are expected. Connecticut Light & Power has called in additional line and tree crews which are being deployed throughout the state.
From Connecticut Light & Power's website: "If you lose power, please call CL&P at (800) 286-2000. You can also report your power outage here." You may want to have that phone number in your cell phone.
SNOW EMERGENCY: Mayor Harry Rilling has declared a SNOW EMERGENCY for Norwalk effective @ 4:00 pm today, Thurs., Jan, 2. Please remove vehicles from streets.
Dependent on conditions, garbage and recycling collection could be postponed. Call Customer Service for updates (203) 854-3200
In accordance with City Code:
1. No vehicle shall park or otherwise remain standing upon any snow emergency route when there is present an accumulation of two or more inches of snow or ice for a period of one hour or more between 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. of any day.
2. A declared snow emergency shall remain in effect until terminated by announcement of the Mayor.
3. No person shall park a vehicle or otherwise allow a vehicle to stand upon any portion of a snow emergency route. No person shall park a vehicle or otherwise allow a vehicle to stand upon any street in such a manner as to constitute a hazard or obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic or to hamper and interfere with the work of removing or plowing snow or removal of ice.
4. Vehicles in violation of these restrictions may be ticketed and/or towed at owner expense. CLICK HERE FOR SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES.
Citywide Snow Removal Notice: Vehicles parked on the street significantly and negatively impact the City’s ability to clear snow and ice from the roads. If your vehicle prevents clearing of the street for emergency responders, you may be subject to ticketing and towing. Thank you for your help and cooperation in this matter. List of hard to plow streets due to parked cars
WARMING CENTER at Norwalk Police Community Room: Mayor Rilling announced that the city is offering the Community Room at the Police Department as a warming center for anyone who may lose power during the coming storm. If conditions become too severe, the City will open an additional emergency center at Brien McMahon High School.
Town Clerk's Office Closing today, Thurs., Jan 2 at 4:30p.m.
DMV: All road tests for Friday, January 3 are cancelled. The cancellation is due to expected inclement weather and poor road conditions. The Department of Motor Vehicles is cancelling all learner's permit test appointments scheduled before 10:15 a.m. Friday (January 3) due to the winter storm. The first test appointments will be taken at 10:15 a.m. Fridayto ensure safe road conditions. Customers with canceled appointments will be sent an e-mail notification with instructions on how to reschedule online.Anyone with a scheduled road test can call DMV to choose a new date. The numbers to call are 860-263-5700 if someone is within the Hartford area and toll-free 800-842-8222 for those outside the Hartford area. DMV is also attempting to contact customers with road test appointments to advise them of the schedule change.
Norwalk Public Schools: All schools are on regular dismissal schedules today/Thursday. There is no Early Dismissal. ALL After-School and extracurricular activities have been cancelled. This also includes any meetings or events scheduled for this evening.
Norwalk Public Library: Norwalk Public Library will be closing at 5:30pm today (Thursday) because of inclement weather. The Friday morning concert with Dierdre has been postponed until January 24.
How to Drive on Icy Roads
Preventing and Thawing a Burst Pipe
Malloy urges anyone needing shelter to call 2-1-1
Remove Snow and Ice from Your Vehicle and Avoid Fines