Join us for Open House Day on Saturday, June 9th! More than 175 Connecticut destinations from across the state are offering Connecticut residents discounted or free admission, free gifts or special exhibits and activities!
Open House Day is a great opportunity to not only go back to your favorite CT spots, but to also discover new destinations you may have never had a chance to check out before.
See below for activities in Fairfield County and click here (http://bit.ly/IqQ86k) for the official Facebook invite!
Local Activities in Fairfield County
- Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo, Bridgeport – Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Maritime Aquarium, Norwalk – From 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., visitors will receive $2 off the Aquarium’s Adventure Pass; admission to the Aquarium and IMAX movie
- Stamford Museum & Nature Center, Stamford – Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Bruce Museum, Greenwich – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Fairfield Museum and History Center, Fairfield – Free admission from noon until 4 p.m. with the Fairfield Academy opened from noon until 2 p.m. by the Daughters of the American Revolution
- Bush-Holley Historic Site, Greenwich – Free admission from noon until 4 p.m.
- A Common Ground Community Art Center, Danbury – From 8:30 a.m. until 8 p.m. visitors are offered free dance, music, fitness and martial art classes
- Art & Fame of Danbury LLC, Danbury – From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., visitors can view open gallery show “Wild,” with original mixed media by Nancy Moore, pottery by Maria Taylor, and wood turning by Chris Cushman. Raffle prizes offered too.
- Danbury Museum & Historical Society, Danbury – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. New exhibit open - Covering All the Bases, showcases baseball images in Danbury through the 1930s
- Jim Felice Studios, Danbury - Artists’ demonstrations - three sculptors and a painter show how their process is done. Open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Mercurial Gallery, Danbury - From noon until 5 p.m. the Gallery is hosting an opening reception for the Tattoo Show, featuring five local artists, with complimentary refreshments
- YMCA ESCAPE to the Arts, Danbury – From noon until 4 p.m., view an exhibition of artwork by ESCAPE staff and join in to design a square for a community art project that will be displayed through June. Drawing painting, collage and mixed media materials are provided. All ages welcome
- Connecticut Audubon Society Center, Fairfield – Open from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. offering complimentary coffee tasting and children’s crafts
- Thomas J. Walsh Gallery, Fairfield – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. with a special exhibit featuring works of Connecticut artists, all presented to benefit the Montage Initiative, a world-wide project assisting women in difficult situations
- Bellarmine Museum of Art, Fairfield – Free family day with drop-in crafts for kids (1 p.m.-4 p.m.), storytime in the gallery and special tours for families. Open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- East Village Barn Hill Meeting House, Monroe – Free admission from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- David Boyajian Sculpture Studio, New Fairfield – Studio open and free to the public from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. with bronze casting demonstrations
- Hilton Garden Inn, Norwalk – Guests will receive 10 percent off best available rate by mentioning Connecticut Open House Day. Reservations can be made in advance, or on the day of arrival
- Suzanne Benton Studio & Art Showcase, Ridgefield – Open artist studio from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. with a mask tale performance, and featuring work from artist residencies from abroad
- River Road Gallery, Wilton – From 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., with a art show opening Impressions of Weir Farm by Ron Landis and offering complimentary refreshments
- Wilton Historical Society, Wilton - Free admission from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- Center for Contemporary Printmaking, Norwalk – From 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. take a tour of the workshop, including an explanation of the basic tools and techniques involved in printmaking. Preview the 3rd Biennial International Footprint Exhibition. Light refreshments
- Keeler Tavern Museum, Ridgefield - Free admission from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- Ogden House, Fairfield – Free admission from noon until 4 p.m.
- Molten Java, Bethel - A recipient of Connecticut Magazine’s Best Coffee Bar in 2009, 2010, 2011, Molten Java will be showcasing “Milk and Cookies,” a collection of children portraiture by Kristen Jensen, in its upstairs gallery. The exhibit, “Landscape” by Steve Bean will be exhibited on the first floor gallery.
- Gallery at Still River Editions, Danbury – From 10 a.m.-5 p.m., the gallery will showcase the exhibit “Intellectual Property: New Work by Gene Gort.” Visitors can also participate in “Faces of Danbury” with photographer Catherine Vanaria – she’ll be taking portraits for free on a first-come, first serve basis and those who participate will be sent an 8X10 print after the event. Refreshments will be served.
- Danbury Railway Museum, Danbury – From 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., receive a complimentary train ride with a paid admission when you bring in the local Open House Day brochure, or an advertisement of the event.
- Shelton History Center, Shelton – Free admission from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sherman Historical Society, Sherman -- Free guided tours from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m., with art exhibit opening “Sentinel Houses,” and lemonade and cookies served in the dining room.
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children, Norwalk -- Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- A Common Ground- Community Art Center, Danbury -- From 8:30 a.m. until 8 p.m. visitors are offered free dance, music, fitness and martial art classes.
- Art & Frame of Danbury LLC, Danbury -- Open gallery show “Wi!LD,” featuring original mixed media paintings by Nancy Moore, pottery by Marcia Taylor, and wood turning by Chris Cushman. Custom framing demonstrations, raffle prizes. Open from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Gallery 84, Danbury – Open from noon until 6 p.m. and offering complimentary refreshments.
- Savage Studio, Danbury -- Gallery with functional ceramics will offer a 25% discount off a second of the same priced item. You must mention Connecticut Open House Day to get this offer.
- Karen Rossi Studios, Norfolk – Free kids craft projects including rock painting, stick sculpture, and art from nature. Open studio from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- Sharon Audubon Center, Sharon – Free admission for the Center’s building from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Birdwalk at 8 a.m., registration recommended but not necessary. Trails open from dawn until dusk
- Southwind Farms, Watertown – Free admission to one of Connecticut’s largest alpaca farms from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Chester/Hadlyme Ferry, Chester – From 10:30 a.m. until 5 p.m., visitors can ride for free aboard Selden III, the second oldest continuously operating ferry service in the state, which crosses the scenic Connecticut River near Gillette Castle State Park
- Connecticut River Expeditions, Haddam – RiverQuest will be offering a special reduced admission with the 60-minute Gillette Castle Viewing Cruise on the Connecticut River. Cruises depart at 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. Reduced admission is $5 per person
- Tanger Outlet Center, Westbrook – Open House Day customers will receive a free $5 coupon book by showing a valid Connecticut ID. Stores open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m.
- Henry Whitfield State Museum, Guilford – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. “Puritans at Play,” all ages are invited to participate in games from the 17th century
- Quassy Amusement Park, Middlebury – One free all-day ride pass for the first 12 cars that request it through the Connecticut Open House Day. Park open from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. with special entertainment at the Carousel Theatre
- New England Ballet Company, Orange – Open classes for all ages including Ballet, Jazz, Tap and Zumba from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Along with studio performance of Peter and the Wolf and meet the company dancers
- Lebanon Historical Society Museum, Lebanon – From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. enjoy demonstrations of traditional crafts, Model-T rides, farm animals, and hands-on activities
- Florence Griswold Museum, Old Lyme -- Free entry to museum from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., plus special access to GardenFest activities, including “Blooms with a View” (15 stunning floral arrangements that interpret works of art) and “Pleasure Gardens: A Miniature Maharaja Place” (a miniature fantasy creation based on several maharaja palaces in India)