- At 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Five Mile River Nursery School at 5 Pennoyer St., Rowayton, is hosting a presentation on "What you child should know and be able to do by Kindergarten." According to this announcement: "Director Lauriston Avery will discuss the Connecticut Preschool Curriculum and Assessment Framework and how it pertains to your child's readiness for Kindergarten."
- At 1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Darien Library will present the 2012 movie Mud (2012)
with Matthew McConaughey, Jacob Lofland and Reese Witherspoon; Rated
PG-13; 130 minutes; "A pair of inquisitive adolescents encounter a
charismatic drifter with an incredible story [...]" The library's
website has more information.
- Saks Fifth Avenue in Greenwich will host an evening of cocktails, glamour and shopping in celebration of The Breast Cancer Research Foundation on Wednesday, Oct. 16 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The festive evening will officially kick off Saks Fifth Avenue’s annual Key to the Cure charity shopping weekend to take place Thursday through Sunday, Oct. 17 to 20. During the shopping weekend, 2 percent sales in Greenwich will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- A short film series called Short Cuts kicks off on Thursday, Oct. 17 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Garden Cinemas in Norwalk. Shows start 7:30 p.m. with dessert and coffee served at 7 p.m. Popcorn is also included with admission. A post-show discussion follows the shows which are "international in flavor."
- On Wednesday, check out the Stamford JCC's Dinner with Big Bird at 6:30 p.m. Tickets top out at $14 and pizza is served. Check out RSVPing here.
- "Please join us for a special evening with Soleil Moon Frye, the actress who played "Punky Brewster" on TV, as she chats [starting 7 p.m. Wednesday at Barrett Bookstore] about being a mompreneur, fun and inexpensive party ideas for kids, and signs copies of her new book Let's Get This Party Started! This is a FREE event. Refreshments will be served. Please RSVP for this event to: firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 655 2712." -- an announcement posted on Darien Patch
- "Jim Ziolkowski is the Founder, President and CEO of buildOn, a non-profit organization that builds schools in developing countries while also running afterschool service programs in America’s toughest inner-cities. Jim's book, Walk in Their Shoes, tells the story of how twenty-one years ago, Jim gave up a promising career in corporate finance to create buildOn. [...] Please go to www.ywlnewcanaan.org to register. " He speaks starting at 7:30 p.m. at the Young Women's League general meeting in New Canaan. -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- Milford author Joe Carvalko, author of We Were Beautiful Once: Chapters from a Cold War. All are welcome, and the event is free. Copies of his book will be available for sale. (Milford Public Library, 57 New Haven Ave., Milford See map)
* * *
Traveling on I-95? Concerned about traffic? Here are links to the Connnecticut Department of Transportation traffic cams (“SB” means southbound; “NB” means northbound):