- Tomes: "The [Norwalk Public Library] book sale will begin on Thursday, Oct. 24 at 3 p.m. with a children's only book sale. On Saturday, Oct. 26 the full book sale will begin at 9 a.m. The Friends Cafe will be open with homemade baked goods for sale on Saturday & Sunday." -- from an announcement on the library website. Here's a more detailed announcement.
- "Travel + Leisure magazine editor Luke Barr explores a singular historic time and place in food culture as he discusses his book Provence 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, and the Reinvention of American Taste. The great-nephew of M.F.K. Fisher, Barr captures the personalities and the history of this seminal moment in time when they found themselves together in the South of France and how it influences the way we eat now." Noon to 1 p.m., Thursday in the McManus Room, Westport Library -- from an announcement on the Westport Public Library website
- Talk: "Elissa Grodin, author of Physics Can Be Fatal (Aug 2012 Cozy Cat Press), Rosemary Harris, author of The Bitches of Brooklyn (July 2013 Chestnut Hill Books), Mark Rubinstein, author of Love Gone Mad (Sept 2013 Thunder Lake Press) and Jessica Speart, author of Winged Obsession: The Pursuitof the World’s Most Notorious Butterfly Smuggler (April 2011, William Morrow), will all be part of a Mystery Author panel discussion at the downtown Fairfield University Bookstore, 1499 Post Rd, Fairfield [...] (203) 255-7756 on Thursday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m." -- from an announcement on Fairfield Patch
- Tasting and tippling: "Raise your glass in support of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwestern Connecticut, the nation's premier mentoring organization, on Thursday, Oct. 24, from 6 to 9 p.m., at Two Roads Brewery Co. in Stratford. Sample a delectable mix of craft beer, wine and appetizers. The evening also features tours of Connecticut's largest brewery, beer and wine samples, live music and silent auction." -- from an event listing on Norwalk Patch
- Thrift shop: "Oil paintings, signed prints, vintage wall art and lots of frames collected from Fairfield County estate homes, and sold at great prices. Something Special is volunteer run and all proceeds benefit Our Lady of Fatima School [in Wilton]. Furniture, vintage table-top and bric a brac too! Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m." At 225 Danbury Rd., Wilton (in the white house behind Our Lady of Fatima School). -- from an event listing on Norwalk Patch
* * *
Traveling on I-95? Concerned about traffic? Here are links to the Connnecticut Department of Transportation traffic cams (“SB” means southbound; “NB” means northbound):